In this episode, the Water Colors team discusses why Eartheaters, the fishes in the Subtribe Geophagina, are perfect aquarium inhabitants for many fishkeepers. If you have stories (or pictures) to share of your Geophagus, you can post them to the Water Colors Aquarium Gallery Listeners Facebook group.
– The information used in this episode to define the Tribe Geophagini is outdated. Newer data has expanded the Tribe to include multiple Subtribes and almost a dozen more genera than discussed in this episode. Most of the discussion in this podcast is limited to the Subtribe: Geophagina.
– Acarichthys and Guianacara are included in the Subtribe Acarichthyina, which is included in the Tribe Geophagini.
Clades Mentioned in this Episode
– Family: Cichlidae
– Angelfishes (Pterophyllum spp.)
– Kribs (Pelvicachromis spp.)
– Peacock cichlids (Aulonocara spp.)
– Apistogramma spp.
– Tribe: Geophagini
– Geophagus spp.
– Ram cichlids (Mikrogeophagus spp.)
– Subfamily: Geophaginae
– Biotodoma spp.
– Gymnogeophagus spp.
– Satanoperca spp.
– Apistogrammoides spp.
– Taeniacara spp.
– Guianacara spp.
– Acarichthys heckelii