In this episode, the Water Colors team discusses why Eartheaters, the fishes in the Subtribe Geophagina, are perfect aquarium inhabitants for many fishkeepers.
– The information used in this episode to define the Tribe Geophagini is outdated. Newer data has expanded the Tribe to include multiple Subtribes and almost a dozen more genera than discussed in this episode. Most of the discussion in this podcast is limited to the Subtribe: Geophagina.
– Acarichthys and Guianacara are included in the Subtribe Acarichthyina, which is included in the Tribe Geophagini.
Clades Mentioned in this Episode
– Family: Cichlidae
– Angelfishes (Pterophyllum spp.)
– Kribs (Pelvicachromis spp.)
– Peacock cichlids (Aulonocara spp.)
– Apistogramma spp.
– Tribe: Geophagini
– Geophagus spp.
– Ram cichlids (Mikrogeophagus spp.)
– Subfamily: Geophaginae
– Biotodoma spp.
– Gymnogeophagus spp.
– Satanoperca spp.
– Apistogrammoides spp.
– Taeniacara spp.
– Guianacara spp.
– Acarichthys heckelii